Eureka Entertainment has announced their new release of Samuel Fuller’s post-World War II Tokyo-set detective thriller. House of Bamboo is presented on Blu-ray from a 2K restoration as a part of the Masters of Cinema Series.
Japan, 1954. A military train is robbed of its cargo by a ruthless gang of professionals led by the sadistic, but brilliant, Sandy Dawson (Robert Ryan). Weeks later, one of the thieves lies dying in a Tokyo hospital, shot by his own accomplices. Recently released convict Eddie Spanier (Robert Stack) arrives in Tokyo, and joins up with the gang, impressing Sandy so much he quickly becomes his “Ichiban” (number one man), greatly displeasing the former favourite, Griff (Cameron Mitchell). But is Eddie all he seems?
The 1000-copy limited edition includes:
- 1080p presentation on Blu-ray from Fox’s 2K restoration
- Original, uncompressed, monaural soundtrack
- Optional English SDH
- Audio commentary with Film Historians Julie Kirgo and Nick Redman
- Audio commentary with Film historians Alain Silver and James Ursini
- Fuller at Fox – a video essay by David Cairns looking at Samuel Fuller’s films produced for Twentieth Century Fox
- Original theatrical trailer
- PLUS: A collector’s booklet featuring an essay by film critic Richard Combs and the words of Samuel Fuller
House of Bamboo is available on Blu-ray from Eureka Entertainment from 7th December 2020.