Eureka Entertainment has announced their new release of Samuel Fuller’s Cold War submarine adventure. Hell and High Water is presented on Blu-ray from a 4K restoration as a part of the Masters of Cinema Series.
“In the summer of 1953, it was announced that an atomic bomb of foreign origin had been exploded somewhere outside of the United States… This is the story of that explosion.”
Starting with a nuclear explosion and only escalating from there, Hell and High Water is a white-knuckle Cold War thriller that would have a huge influence on the future of blockbuster cinema (Steven Spielberg was so enamoured with the film that he kept a print in his car for many years).
When military intelligence suggests a secret atomic base is being covertly set-up on an island near Japan, former US Navy commander Adam Jones (Richard Widmark) is sent on a covert mission to prevent a nuclear attack that could trigger World War 3.
The 1000-copy limited edition includes:
- 1080p presentation on Blu-ray from Fox’s 2K restoration
- Original, uncompressed, monaural soundtrack
- Optional English SDH
- Audio commentary with Film Historians Julie Kirgo and Nick Redman
- Audio commentary with Film historians Alain Silver and James Ursini
- Fuller at Fox – a video essay by David Cairns looking at Samuel Fuller’s films produced for Twentieth Century Fox
- Original theatrical trailer
- PLUS: A collector’s booklet featuring an essay by film critic Richard Combs and the words of Samuel Fuller
Hell and High Water is available on Blu-ray from Eureka Entertainment from 7th December 2020.